Saturday, April 23, 2016

Joshua Davis, Zak Bunce

The band(s): Joshua Davis, Zak Bunce

The venue: Gopherwood Concerts 

Date: April 23, 2016


When Joshua Davis was on The Voice, I didn't know who he was and I didn't really care. I didn't watch The Voice and all I knew was everyone on Facebook was blathering on and on about him. It wasn't until I heard him cover Bridge Over Troubled Water that I finally realized what I was missing out on.

That was the only performance of his on The Voice that I heard. The next time I heard Joshua Davis it was when he recorded a stunning rendition of MSU Shadows. I have not historically enjoyed the Alma Mater but Joshua Davis totally won me over to it. Still, I never really sought out any more of his music.

So when a few months ago, my mom asked me if I'd be interested in seeing Joshua Davis live in my hometown, I thought "what the heck!" I knew he had a nice voice and the concert was on my birthday weekend so it seemed like a good idea.

Boy was it!

After my dear and wonderful 90 year old grandmother hauled herself up three flights of stairs for the show, I thought "this had better be fricking spectacular." I wasn't disappointed.

Zak Bunce opened. Years ago I saw Zak when he was singing with Kung Fu Rodeo but his short solo set was more memorable, I think. He opened with a cover of "Down Under" by Men at Work and closed with a "Purple Rain". He was a hit. Clearly a very talented individual and I'd be interested in hearing more of him. I especially loved his cover of Cry Love by John Hiatt (available here).



Joshua Davis came out, just him and his guitar (well, a few guitars, you know how these musicians are). I have to say, having only heard him really twice before, I was skeptical that he would be quite AS good as he was in the recordings that I heard. But he was better. When I heard Bridge Over Troubled Water on YouTube or however I saw it, I was deeply moved by his performance. Tonight, when he played Fields of Gold live in front of me, I wanted to throw myself on the ground. It was phenomenal. It was significantly better even than the Voice performance linked here.

I'm looking forward to FINALLY looking up all of Joshua Davis' music and hopefully catching him this summer with his band Steppin' In It when they play in the LowellArts Summer Concert Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment