Friday, November 30, 2012

honeyhoney, Trampled by Turtles

The bands:
honeyhoney
Trampled by Turtles

The venue:
The Intersection, Grand Rapids MI

Date
October 3, 2012

I knew one honeyhoney song before this concert. Somewhere along the way I'd heard Angel of Death and fell in love with it, always meaning to pursue more of their music but never getting around to it. 

I bought the ticket based on knowing that one song several weeks in advance and was debating whether or not to use it when concert day rolled around. I convinced myself it would be worth it and despite nearly falling asleep at the wheel on my way to the venue, I found that I was right: It was completely worth it.

I really didn't know what to expect. What I got was a hot chick rocking out with a banjo, a dude who looked so familiar I couldn't stop staring at him, a bassist and a drummer. I'm not being vague about the last two because they weren't awesome -- I'm sure they were -- I just couldn't really see them from where I stood. They have this wicked awesome twangy rock sound that continually surprised me.

When they finished, they headed back to the merch table and so did I. Frankly I was hoping that if I saw the guitarist (Ben) up close I'd be able to place where I recognized him from. No such luck; it haunts me to this day.

I got a copy of their latest CD, Billy Jack* and chatted for a minute then went on my way. I watched Trampled by Turtles for awhile and watched the crowd for a good part of that. It was, as it always is, awesome to see a crowd so into the music. TBT was awesome as well. High energy, they sounded great and really loved the crowd. Unfortunately, fatigue eventually got the better of me and I hit the road before their set was over.

All in all, I'm really glad I decided to suck it up and go to this show. I wish I'd known more Trampled by Turtles music so perhaps I could have gotten into their set a little more and stuck it out but it wasn't meant to be and it was a great show anyway.



*Billy Jack is phenomenal start to finish and I highly recommend you check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment